Welcome!

"Welcome! Thank you for joining my blog. I will be taking you to the farms, to the market, into my kitchen and into my life as the market manager!" ~Kiersten

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Summer Salad in March....love it!

I was browsing through recipes online and came across this amazing salad recipe this week. I modified it a little to match the ingredients I had on hand. I found the original recipe online at allrecipes.com, but here is my version.

Farmer's Market Spinach Salad

4 slices of bacon
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1 bag spinach (mine came from Guy & Abbey Schlapper)
1 can mandarin oranges (I made my own by peeling mandarin oranges and adding a simple syrup over         them...you can can them this way, but I only had enough for one jar so I just stuck them in the fridge for us to enjoy now)
5 strawberries sliced


Cook the bacon and set aside. While the bacon is cooking make up your dressing by combining the vinegar, sugar, and mustard in a bowl (blend in a blender or whisk). Slowly add olive oil while blending or whisking. Stir in poppy seeds and then set aside. Clean your spinach and place it in a large bowl. Add the mandarin oranges and strawberries (you could put in any fruit combo you wanted).

This salad is beautiful and so good! My family enjoyed it so much last night for dinner. The kids said, "This is a real fruit salad!!!" Love that they got to enjoy their favorite fruits will enjoying spinach, too! There was just enough left for me to enjoy a wrap for lunch today! Delicious!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment