Welcome!

"Welcome! Thank you for joining my blog. I will be taking you to the farms, to the market, into my kitchen and into my life as the market manager!" ~Kiersten

Monday, May 28, 2012

Come take a look at Elmtree Farm...


I was very excited to visit Elmtree Farm and get to spend some time with Gene and Janet Nuse. They started off the visit by showing me their beautiful home and visiting about their farm. I know this was a farm visit but I have to take a minute to tell you about their home. First it is gorgeous inside and out, but more important it is very environmentally friendly from its mud and straw filled walls to the natural flooring and its all around construction. They also have solar panels and geothermal heating! I will get back to talking about the farm but visit with Gene and Janet about some of the techniques they used at the next market. I know I got some ideas for when we build!

Elmtree Farm is designed to be a demonstration farm to showcase a variety of farming techniques. Gene is the gardener of the family and has a lot of great ideas and plans for the farm. I am excited to see it grow. This year you will find a wide variety at their table during market. Elmtree Farm features farm fresh free range brown eggs, cut flowers, vegetables including; chinese cabbage, squash, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, turnips, beets, variety of lettuces, potatoes and sweet potatoes. They are also raising American Milking Devon Cattle and potentially will have beef to sell in a couple years at the market. They discussed making herbal vinegars and bring those to market, too! I really enjoy all of their cabbages, eggs and lettuce. I am looking forward to trying out all the other yummy vegies as the summer season progresses!!!! 

After checking out the produce we went into the barn to take a peek at the baby chicks! These little guys were a little camera shy when I went back to snap some photos, but I got a few of them! 

I learned so much on my visit to Elmtree Farm. I love getting to know the vendors better and seeing where my food is coming from on each visit.














No comments:

Post a Comment